Tuesday, June 2, 2009

the 411

It’s been a while since I’ve posted. I’ve been trying to contain my psychosis. I think I’ve been doing pretty well at that… most of the time. I had my pre-consultation with my doctor this morning. I love her, I love her staff, but they are never on time. Ever. I was with her for 15 minutes, but I was out of work for an hour and a half. How exactly does that work?
The surgery will be about an hour and a half. She will try to use the same incisions, but she’s not sure if she’ll be able to. I mentioned I still have quite a bit of soreness. She said she thought it might be from the endo. I disagree, but we’ll see after the surgery. She said it wouldn’t be as bad as the last surgery because of the amount of blood I lost in that surgery. After this one I should be feeling remarkably better immediately following the surgery. She said I’d be in recovery for 2-4 hours. She said a resident dr. would be doing the surgery, but that she would be there to do the “major” stuff. Um, not sure how I feel about that, but I don’t think I get a say in it. She’s also going to do an HSG dye test while she’s in there to ensure the tubes aren’t blocked.
Anyways, she gave me a prescription for vicodin after the surgery. She said we could start TTC again immediately. As in day after surgery? That would be correct. She said as soon as I was feeling up to it. Time to stock up on OPK’s! She said whenever I get pregnant again we’ll test hormones every couple of days to ensure they are doubling normally, and have a scan as soon as the hormones are high enough for an image to be detectable. I feel good about that. She said it does not mean that the entire pregnancy would be considered high risk. She said if we try clomid that would not make the endo come back faster. Although we’ve talked about it and decided to hold off on trying clomid for 3-6 months.
I mentioned to her that my skin has been a borderline nightmare since all the hormone fluctuations. She suggested proactive. I’m going to get that this week. Hopefully it will work.
I’ve got the beginning of a sinus cold coming on, she said if it wasn’t gone by Friday to call and she’d prescribe antibiotics so the surgery doesn’t get rescheduled. Also, I had blood drawn today to test my hormones: thyroid and prolactin (?, I think). I want to make sure there isn’t any other issue going on. I would hate to start TTC again and then months down the road find out there was something else wrong too.
Overall it was a good appointment. But the place is crawling with pregnant women and babies/toddlers. And there’s a daycare on the first floor of the building. Super. One of the exam rooms actually has a picture of a woman breastfeeding. There are pictures of bare stomachs every where you turn, on pamphlets, magazines, and posters. As if it’s not bad enough for me to go back to “the scene of the crime.” But I have to be accosted by preggos and children everywhere. Coming from someone with fertility issues, the place is an absolute nightmare to go to. If I didn’t love my doctor so much I’d look for a new one. Really, it’s that bad.
I just can’t wait to get the surgery over with. I know I’m going to be an anxiety attack mess until then. I’m going to a relaxation class at the hospital the day before the surgery. Better late than never, right? It’s only offered 1 day per week. I can’t go this week because I’m seeing my psych dr. at the same time the class is offered.
In fun news, we got a boat yesterday. I am very much looking forward to going to the lake for the weekend for some fun before the surgery!

No comments: