Monday, May 10, 2010

Mudder's Day

I received a very early Mudder's Day gift from my little Mr. Kick Split Kick (Cause I'm 50! 50 years old! Tell me someone remembers that SNL skit?)

It was right around 2:30am. I was in blissful dreamland. Because obviously pregnancy dreams are blissful and dreamlandy. If blissful = the craziest ass shit you've ever dreamt about in your life, then yes.

I was jolted awake out of my Tex.as Chains.aw Massacre dream with a calf cramp that I can only describe as... no I can't. I can't even describe it.

I grabbed K like a hyena on a butterball screaming and flailing in total hysteria.



As utterly ridiculous as that was, the significance of Mudder's Day is not lost on me. I know it's a day that just twists the knife for many. I know the twist of that knife because I've felt it before. And I still feel it.

It seemed like everyone at work, and even some family (who will remain nameless), went out of their way to wish me a Happy 1st Mother's Day. Which is so nice and thoughtful, but it brings back the ache. And I want to say, "This isn't my first Mother's Day!"

But I didn't. Why? Maybe I wanted to avoid the pitiful exchange and the "I'm sorry's". Maybe I didn't want to make people feel bad when they had good intentions. Maybe I couldn't bear to talk about it.

I hate Mother's Day. Because I've been through IF (in a mild way compared to many of you). And I know the hurt that the day can bring. Going through IF, we have the reminder in our hearts every day of what we are or are not. Of what we do or don't have. But on this day, do we really need the world to rub that reminder in our faces too?

Fuck it. I say we rename the day National FMP. (Fuck Me Pumps, for the late comer). And every year, on said day, we treat ourselves to a new pair of FMP.

Let's all get a new pair of shoes, an iced cappucino and be done with it.

3 comments:

tireegal68 said...

I love your post about National FMP day!
Did you see Betty White on SNL? She was in a scene with Molly Shannon and the whole fifty years old skit. except Betty was saying she was ninety years old and Molly was really put out!
I hate the whole mother's day shit. I really do.
It's so much worse than Father's day. Probably because we idolize motherhood. grrrr.

Kansas said...

OMG, I started to watch it but then I fell asleep. So funny that skit was on though! I DVR'd it, I'll have to watch tonight. haha!

AnxiousMummyto3 said...

Amen to this post! I hated Mother's Day too this year but I got over it. I know I've a lot to be thankful for but I still totally agree with what you said! And can you make mine a chai please?
xx